Good Causes,environment & wildlife charities and conservation campaignsThere are many many worthwhile good causes, charities and campaigns, most of which do fantastic work in a huge variety of different fields. We have chosen to highlight some of them for no other reason that they are the ones we know about and have some information on. It is not an exhasutive list, or even close to it, but we will keep expanding it every week in the hope that just a little publicity will help them with their goals.
Wild Futures is committed to protecting primates and habitats worldwide.
Save The Elephants
- Save the Elephants aims to secure a future for elephants and sustain the beauty and ecological integrity of the places they live.
- Free The Bears
- Butterfly Conservation Europe - Butterfly Conservation Europe is an umbrella organisation aimed at halting the decline of butterflies, moths and their habitats across Europe.
- Survival International - The movement for tribal peoples. Survival is the only organization working for tribal peoples’ rights worldwide.
- Born Free Foundation - The Born Free Foundation is a dynamic international wildlife charity, devoted to compassionate conservation and animal welfare.
- David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation - The David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation is a small, effective charity funding key projects in Africa and Asia working to save critically endangered mammals in the wild.
- The Saiga Conservation Alliance
- Froglife - Froglife is a national wildlife charity committed to the conservation of the UK's frogs, toads, newts, snakes and lizards - working with people, enhancing lives together for a healthier planet.
- Action for the Wild - In the last 5 years, over £500,000 has been donated by the charity to conservation projects worldwide, and many of these projects have been supported for a number of years. In 2008, Chris Packham became the patron of Action for the Wild, offering his support, because of the proactive role that the charity plays with in situ conservation around the world.
- South Essex Wildlife Hospital
- Falklands Conservation
- Iranian Cheetah Society
- International Rhino Foundation - The International Rhino Foundation is a global not-for-profit organization dedicated to the survival of the world's rhino
- Vale Wildlife Hospital & Rehabilitation Centre
- ARKive - Species extinction is now occurring at a faster rate than at any time in Earth's history. We are urgently trying to profile the species at most risk of extinction.
- Lola Ya Bonobo - Like chimpanzees, bonobos share 98.7% of our DNA. Chimpanzees and bonobos look very similar. But if you look closely, you'll see that bonobos are a little smaller, with pink lips, black faces, and a very attractive hairstyle with long black hair neatly parted in the middle.
- The Tenkile Conservation Alliance - The Tenkile Conservation Alliance (TCA) aims to save the critically endangered Tenkile, or Scott's Tree Kangaroo (Dendrolagus scottae) and Weimang (Dendrolagus pulcherrimus) from becoming extinct.
- Wild Camel Protection Foundation - The sole aim of the Wild Camel Protection Foundation is to protect the critically endangered wild Bactrian camel.
- Wildlife at Risk (WAR) - Wildlife At Risk (WAR) is dedicated to protecting the biodiversity of Vietnam by combating the illegal wildlife trade, raising environmental awareness and promoting the conservation of endangered species and their habitats.
- David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust is a small, flexible charity, established in 1977 to honour the memory of a famous Naturalist, David Leslie William Sheldrick MBE, the founder Warden of Tsavo East National Park in Kenya.
- Angola Field Group - Established in 2002, the Angola Field Group is an informal organization open to expatriates, Angolans, and anybody who wants to learn more about Angola.
- The Seal Protection Action Group - The Seal Protection Action Group is dedicated to the protection of seals and their environment worldwide.
- The Grasslands Trust
- Sundarbans Tiger Project - The Sundarbans Tiger Project is a non-profit group working to conserve the tigers of the Sundarbans in Bangladesh.
- The Colobus Trust - The Colobus Trust is a non profit organization founded in 1997 on Kenya's south coast to promote the conservation of primates and in particular the Angolan Black and White Colobus monkey.
The Invertebrate Conservation Trust is the first organisation in Europe devoted to the conservation of all invertebrates, and is actively engaged in saving Britain's rarest bugs, butterflies, snails, bees, wasps, ants, spiders, beetles and more fascinating creatures.
- The African Lion & Environmental Research Trust ALERT - ALERT is a non-profit organization dedicated to the facilitation and promotion of sound conservation management plans for the African lion.
- British Dragonfly Society - Working for the protection of dragonflies and damselflies throughout the UK.
- The Charles Darwin Foundation - Dedicated to preserving the habitat of the Galapagos Islands.
Care for the Wild International
Animal welfare and conservation charity.
- The Bumblebee Conservation Trust
- National Wildlife Crime Unit - October 2006. The National Wildlife Crime Unit was launched on Wednesday 18th October.
- Wildlife Conservation Society - The Wildlife Conservation Society conserves wildlife and wild lands. WCS uses careful science, international conservation, education, as well as managing urban wildlife parks including the flagship Bronx Zoo.
- The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) - The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT) is a leading UK conservation organisation saving wetlands for wildlife and people across the world.
- RSPB, for birds, for people, for ever. - For birds: Hesketh Out Marsh.
- The Amazon Association for the Preservation of Nature - The Amazon Association for the Preservation of Nature.
- Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) - Working under cover to expose wildlife crime.
- Earthwatch Institute
- Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust - Saving wildlife from extinction.
- Conservation International
- The International Otter Survival Fund - Protecting otters worldwide.
International Animal Rescue (IAR)
- International Animal Rescue (IAR) is dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of suffering animals worldwide.
- The Aspinall Foundation
- Researchers discover that some Chimpanzees use caves for shelter. - Chimpanzees in Senegal apparently have much in common with our earliest human ancestors.
- Butterfly Conservation. - Butterfly Conservation is the UK's leading charity that works to save butterflies and moths.
- The Seahorse Trust
- Sea Turtles 911 - Sea Turtles 911 is an international non-profit organization focused on ending the illegal sea turtle trade, which thrives on the demand for sea turtle meat and items made from sea turtle shell, particularly from the critically endangered Hawksbill sea turtle.
The Pew Environment Group
The Pew Environment Group works globally to establish pragmatic, science-based policies that protect our oceans, preserve our wildlands, and promote clean energy.
- Environmental Justice Foundation - For millions of people around the world, a degraded natural environment means hunger and brutal poverty that costs lives.
- Coral Cay Conservation - Coral Cay Conservation is an internationally renowned and accredited marine conservation specialist dedicated to providing the resources to help protect coral reefs throughout the developing world.
- Shark Savers
- Sea Watch - Working in close partnership with the public, Sea Watch is a national marine conservation research charity dedicated to the protection of whales, dolphins and porpoises (cetaceans) around the UK.
- East-Coast-Seal-Rescue - East-Coast-Seal-Rescue is a new organisation set up to help save as many seals and pups as possible.
- Shark Advocates International - Shark Advocates International is a new, non-profit initiative dedicated to conserving some of the ocean's most vulnerable, valuable, and neglected animals - the sharks
- Whale and Dolphin Conservation - WDCS, the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society, is the world's most active charity dedicated to the conservation and welfare of all whales, dolphins and porpoises, also known as cetaceans.
- Kuwait Turtle Conservation Project - Kuwait hosts two species of nesting turtles on its offshore islands Qaru and Umm Al-Maradim.
- Salahif - Arabian Gulf sea turtle conservation - A network dedicated to conserving the sea turtles of the Arabian Gulf, Red Sea and Western Indian Ocean through education and collaboration.
- Irish Seal Sanctuary - The Irish Seal Sanctuary is Ireland's only rescue and rehab centre for marine animals.
- The Oceania Project - Based in Asutarlia, The Oceania Project, established in 1988, is a Not-for-profit research and information organisation dedicated to the Conservation and Protection of Whales, Dolphins and the Oceans.
- The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT)
- Mingan Island Cetacean Study - Mingan Island Cetacean Study (MICS) is a non-profit research organization dedicated to ecological studies of marine mammals.
- Stonehaven Dolphin Research
- Irish Whale and Dolphin Group. - Dedicated to the conservation and better understanding of cetaceans in Irish waters, through study, education and interpretation.
- The TURTLE FOUNDATION - Working to save the world's sea-turtles.
- The Shark Trust - Established in 1997, the Shark Trust is dedicated to promoting the study, management and conservation of sharks, skates and rays.
- Sea Shepherd Conservation Society - An International conservation organization whose mission is to end the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in the world's oceans.
- The Marine Conservation Society - Protecting the UK's seas and shores.
- The Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch - The Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch online diary was launched on Friday 1 June.
- The Marine Connection - Dolphin and whale welfare.
- Marine Life - Researching in the Channel and the Bay of Biscay.
- The Beaked Whale Resource
- Organisation Cetacea (Orcaweb)
- British Divers Marine Life Rescue. - Rescuing stranded marine animals around the UK's coastline.
Further Wildlife Charities
- Northern Rangelands Trust - NRT acts as a catalyst for development of community-based conservation initiatives and is currently working with 23 community conservancies covering an area of more than 20,000km2.
- East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service
- Freeland - FREELAND is dedicated to making the world free of human slavery and wildlife trafficking by increasing law enforcement capacity, supporting vulnerable communities and raising awareness.
- The World Parrot Trust - The World Parrot Trust is a dynamic wildlife charity dedicated to protecting parrots, the most endangered group of birds on earth.
- Wildlife Aid Foundation - The Foundation’s veterinary hospital in Surrey deals with some 20,000 wildlife emergencies every year.
- Four Paws - For almost two decades, FOUR PAWS has consistently and successfully focused on one goal: to help animals - abused due to economic, scientific or other reasons - to their rights.
- Humane Society International
- Wildlife Action Group - Malawi - The Wildlife Action Group (WAG) is an NGO, who co-manage two governmental protected areas Thuma Forest Reserve and Dedza-Salima Forest Reserve.
- Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI) - From its inception, WPSI's main aim has been to bring a new focus to the daunting task of tackling India's growing wildlife crisis.
- Act for wildlife - Act for Wildlife is a wildlife conservation campaign led by Chester Zoo, helping to save endangered species around the world from extinction.
- Kalaweit gibbons and Siamang conservation programme - Working to save Indonesia's gibbons.
- Sahara Conservation Fund - Conserving the wildlife and landscapes of the world's greatest desert.
- Friends Of Conservation - Striving to save endangered wildlife and habitats, and to support local communities.
- The Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- The Cape Leopard Trust - Conserving the leopards of South Africa's Western Cape.
- The Bat Conservation Trust - Devoted to the conservation of bats and their habitats in the UK
- The National Audubon Society - US equivalent of RSPB.
- African Parks
- LionAid - Over the past 50 years Africa's lion populations have plummeted from over 200,000 individuals back in the 1960's to fewer than 25,000 today. A shocking number if you consider the size of that continent, and by far the greatest number of remaining lion populations are small, scattered, and highly vulnerable.
- The Open Spaces Society - The Open Spaces Society was founded in 1865 and is Britain’s oldest national conservation body.
- The Land Trust
- Galapagos Conservancy - Galapagos Conservancy connects people across the globe to conservation efforts taking place in the Galapagos Islands and plays a catalyst role in moving key programs.
- Okapi Conservation Project - The objective of OCP is to conserve the okapi in the wild while preserving the cultural and biological dynamics of the ecosystem.
- Bombay Natural History Society
- Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force - The Zimbabwe Conservation Task force was formed in April 2001 by a group of Zimbabweans, who were desperately concerned about the unacceptable levels of poaching as well as the destruction of the environment due to the break down of law and order in Zimbabwe.
- Centre for advanced research in natural resources & management - Based in Bangladesh, CARINAM's mission is to protect and conserve biodiversity and other resources in their natural habitats.
- Trees for Life - Our vision is to restore a wild forest, which is there for its own sake, as a home for wildlife and to fulfil the ecological functions necessary for the wellbeing of the land itself.
- Plantlife - Plantlife is the charity that speaks up for the nation's wild plants.
- Wildlife Alliance - Wildlife Alliance is a non-profit organization based in Cambodia working directly with communities and governments to improve forest management.
- Muskwa Wildlife Projects - Our main goal is to protect the European brown bear (Ursus arctos arctos) and its habitat in the Romanian Carpathians.
- Bat Conservation International (BCI)
- Hutan - HUTAN - a French grassroot non-profit organisation - has been working to develop and implement innovative solutions to conserve the orang-utan in Sabah, Malaysia since 1996
- The Wildlife For All Trust - We offer unique opportunities for people who are serious about wanting to make a difference to wildlife conservation.
- Fundación Jocotoco - Fundación Jocotoco is an Ecuadorian organisation established to protect land of critical importance to the conservation of Ecuador's endangered birds and associated biodiversity
- Pond Conservation - Pond Conservation is a UK national charity dedicated to protecting the wildlife of ponds, lakes and rivers.
- Amphibian and Reptile Conservation - Amphibian and Reptile Conservation is committed to conserving amphibians and reptiles, and saving the disappearing habitats on which they depend.
- Fauna & Flora International - FFI acts to conserve threatened species and ecosystems worldwide, choosing solutions that are sustainable, are based on sound science and take account of human needs.
- ElefantAsia - Working to save Asia's elephants.
- The Ingwe Leopard Project - carries out research into leopard behaviour and numbers in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
- Panthera - saves in situ populations of the world's 36 species of wild cats and the landscapes they inhabit in all regions of the world.
The John Muir Trust
- The John Muir Trust is the UK's leading wild land conservation charity.
- People's Trust for Endangered Species - The People's Trust for Endangered Species was founded in 1977 with the aim of helping to ensure a future for many species of endangered creatures worldwide.
- World Land Trust US - The mission of WLT-US is to purchase threatened rainforests and protect endangered wildlife through community engagement and local partnerships.
- The World Land Trust - Buying and protecting the world's fragile habitats.
- Rainforest Concern - Protecting the world's tropical rainforests.
- The Nature Conservancy - Saving the world's biodiversity.
- Virgin Unite - Virgin Unite is the non-profit foundation of the Virgin Group. We unite people to tackle tough social and environmental problems in an entrepreneurial way.
- European Wildlife
- The Hare Preservation Trust - The HPT has a broad remit and promotes the constructive enjoyment of hares in the peace of the countryside, for example by photography and video production. We welcome new members who share our ideals.
- 2020VISION - 2020VISION is a multimedia project that communicates the link between people's well being and the restoration of natural systems.
- Project Bear - To help sustain the long-term future of the bear population in the High Tatras.
- Badger Trust - Since 1986 the organisation has been the leading voice for badgers.
- Project Shark Fin NZ - Petition against shark finning in New Zealand
- TRAFFIC - Joint capaign run by the WWF and IUCN to halt the trade in illegal wildlife goods.
- CORNWALL WILDLIFE TRUST MARINE STRANDINGS NETWORK
More wildlife charities
- The Sumatran Orangutan Society is - The Sumatran Orangutan Society is dedicated to protecting orangutans and their habitat through rainforest restoration, community-led conservation, education and campaigning.
- The Cheetah Conservation Fund - The Cheetah Conservation Fund (CCF) is a charitable organization founded in 1990 in Namibia, and works throughout all cheetah-range countries in Africa and Asia by carrying out scientific research upon which conservation and education programs are designed and implemented.
- Global Tiger Patrol - Global Tiger Patrol (GTP) has been in the forefront of efforts to work with communities, scientists and authorities to identify and take the most appropriate tiger conservation action.
- The Vincent Wildlife Trust
- Snow Leopard Trust - With their estimated to be less than 3,500 Snow Leopards left in the wild the Snow Leopard Trust engages in community based conservation to try and ensure the survival of this magnificent species and at the same time improve the livelihoods of the herder families who live in the high mountain ranges of Central Asia.
- Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International - The Atlanta-based Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International is dedicated to the conservation and protection of gorillas and their habitats in Africa.
- Endangered Species International - More than thirteen million species remain to be discovered in the world;
- Chipembele Wildlife Education Trust - Chipembele Wildlife Education Centre is learning facility for Zambian children focusing on wildlife, the environment and conservation issues.
- Wildlife S.O.S - Working to save Indian Wildlife.
- American Bird Conservancy - Protecting birds throughout the Americas.
- The World Society for the Protection of Animals - The World Society for the Protection of Animals is the world‘s largest alliance of humane societies and animal protection organisations, representing over 800 member societies in more than 147 countries.
- Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) - is committed to urgent action that prevents destruction of India's wildlife.
- Sirenian International - Working to conserve manatees and dugongs worldwide.
- Sepilok Orangutan Appeal UK - Dedicated to the rehabilitation and preservation of Orangutans and their habitat in the Sabah region of Malaysian Borneo.
- International Gorilla Conservation Programme (IGCP) - Working to conserve manatees and dugongs worldwide.
- Defenders of Wildlife - Dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in their natural communities.
- The Bonobo Conservation Initiative - Protecting mans closest relative in the forests of Central Africa.
- Tusk Trust is a UK-based African conservation organisation, with eighteen years’ experience of protecting wildlife, promoting education and supporting community development initiatives throughout Africa.
- Turgwe Hippo Trust - The first and only non-profit organization dedicated to the conservation and protection of hippos in the world.
- Tiger Awareness - Working to save tigers in India.
- The Peregrine Fund - Conserving birds of Prey.
- Zoological Society of London - The Zoological Society of London (ZSL) was founded in 1826 and is now an international scientific, conservation and educational charity.
- International Fund for Animal Welfare - IFAW. - IFAW works throughout the world to improve the welfare of wild and domestic animals by protecting wildlife habitats, reducing commercial exploitation and helping animals in distress.
- Frankfurt Zoological Society
- Congo Rangers - Protecting the gorillas and wildlife of Central Africa.
- Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation - Working to save orangutans from extinction.