Wildlife and bird watching in Ireland
Ireland, and especially the south west, has surprisingly good whale and dolphin watching. There are plenty of dolphins, and minke whales are common in spring and summer. Humpbacks are also found here from mid August for a couple of months.
Read more about whale watching in Ireland.
County by county
Recent Ireland news
- Urgent action must be taken on Europe's invasive species
- All of Britain and Ireland’s birds mapped digitally for the first time
- Largest lake in British Isles has lost three quarters of winter water birds
- Appeal launched to buy vital piece of Northern Ireland habitat
- Seals and porpoises being killed in increasing numbers by ducted propellers
- One of the world's rarest whales photographed off Ireland
- Irish man to be extradited to Austria over rhino horn thefts
- New addition to the Irish Humpback whale collection
- First White-tailed eagle chicks fledge in Ireland for 110 years
- Irish EU environment committee member calls for 'open season' on Hen Harriers
- Large group of Minke whales spotted in the Irish Sea
- Huge Euro bird watch breaks all records
- Refloated dolphin seen with a calf a year on.
- Killer whales off the west coast of Ireland
- Beaked whale strands in Ireland
More Ireland news
- White-Tailed Eagle chicks hatch in Ireland for first time 110 years
- Rivers much healthier when fringed by trees
- Four rhino heads stolen from museum in Dublin
- Early flurry of Basking shark sightings off Ireland
- Irish connection to major rhino horn thefts and smuggling ring
- Captive deer being hunted in Northern Ireland
- Eagles and other raptors still being poisoned in Ireland
- Is pair-trawling endangering Ireland’s seals?
- Mass stranding of common dolphins in Ireland
- Britain's only resident orca pod – No breeding for 20 years
- Cattle egret in Donegal
- Flurry of large whale activity off south west Ireland
- Waxwings in Ireland
- Hen Harrier shot in County Wexford
- Curlew removed from Irish hunting list, but more action needed
Golden Eagles in Ireland 2008.
The latest update on the status of Ireland's Golden eagle population.
Best activity book of the year
Summer is here, we have warm weather, and the beach is beckoning. A swim, build a couple of sandcastles, a bit of beach cricket, but what to do next?
Click rockpooling to read more