Wildlife, Conservation and Safaris in Africa
Articles about African wildlife and conservation
Recent Africa news
- World's Rarest Antelope Flourishes Under Community Conservation
- New EU legislation promotes responsible palm oil production
- Rare elephant twins born in South Africa
- Shocking extent of the internet wildlife trade is exposed
- Ugandan wildlife boss suspended after massive ivory theft
- A record 1,020 rhinos poached in South Africa this year
- Guidelines released on handling illegal ivory
- Public asked to help catch nine prominent wildlife criminals
- Namibia’s new fishing regulations could save 30,000 seabirds a year
- Safari operators combat Ebola fears by waiving cancellation fees
- Thousands of animal skins seized in Senegal crackdown
- Quarter of a million pounds worth of rhino horn seized at South African airport
- Wild mouse lemurs live six times longer than similar-sized mammals
- Wild chimps plan their breakfast
- 27 new species found in Tanzanian forests
More Africa news
- US Government moves to list African lions as threatened
- Chimps found to be adapting to human neighbours
- Hand-reared penguins have same survival chance as wild ones
- Northern White Rhino on brink of extinction
- Lemurs get messages when they go to the toilet
- Chimpanzees found to have favoured tools for hunting ants
- Zambian court sentences ivory poacher to five years
- Investigation reveals a highly organised ivory trade across Asia and Africa
- Trophy hunting is back in Zambia
- Eight antelope euthanised following transfer from Europe to South African zoo
- Creation of new nature reserve protects important bird habitat in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
- East African Court of Justice rules out construction of Serengeti super highway
- Six rescued lions start new life in South Africa
- New study sheds fresh light on okapi genetics
- UK oil exploration company agrees to cease operations in Virunga National Park, DRC
Related News Articles
Anyone visiting Madagascar should take a copy of this book with them.Read full review »
With just 60 species covered in more than 500 pages, this is just about the most comprehensive field guide I have ever seen!
Read about The Primates of West Africa
Read full review »
Read full review »
The Van Deventer brothers were arrested in South Africa on charges of poaching rhinoceroses. Having entered into a plea bargain with the state, the brothers received reduced prison sentences. Shortly afterwards, they contacted investigative journalist and Africa Geographic columnist Ian Michler. They wanted to tell their story.
The hyena gets a bad press. Dan Beaton sings its praises.
I have always wanted to try the self-drive but as a first time visitor to Botswana, and having read, foolishly, all the 'information' on the web about the dire state of every road, and how we would get lost regularly even with a GPS, and the danger from almost every animal that exists, we decided to opt for a week of guided camping, followed by a week of self-drive.
Read more about a Botswana Safari
Read full review »
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
Canopy Raft Program discoveries and photos from Madagascar.
Another Mountain gorilla found dead.
‘Lost forest’ yields several new species.
Huge translocation of ungulates underway in Kenya as thousands of animals are moved to Meru National Park.
Only Lesser flamingo breeding site in East Africa under threat from industry.
Key rhino sanctuary expanded in Kenya.
Photo story. Martial eagle Vs White stork - Masai Mara.
Jewellery made from snares - Poachers turn fashionistas.
Kruger Park full - visitors turned away.
13 arrested in clampdown on poaching in Kenya.
Endangered black rhinos return to Tanzania.
40 rhinos killed in Zimbabwe.
3 rangers and 4 poachers killed in gun battle in Kenya.
- Grevy’s zebras endangered.
- Millions of swallows saved by new radar system.
- Desert crocodiles of the Sahara.
- Mountain gorillas in danger as rebels move into gorilla zone.
- Kenya Launches National Conservation Strategy to Boost Rhinos.
- Lesser flamingos get stay of execution at Lake Natron.
- Ugandan forest spared from scourge of biofuel.
- Another ranger killed in the DRC as the situation deteriorates further.
- Vulture-killing drug now on sale in Africa.
- Primates in Peril - 25 most threatened species of primate.
- A New Population of De Brazza’s Monkey found in Kenya.
- Wildebeest Migration Deaths in the Maasai Mara.
- Research finds more Knysna elephants than expected.
Read both sides of the argument.