Wildlife of Europe
Europe has a surprisingly diverse range of wildlife watching possibilities. The Lynx, though very rare, can be found in the forests of northern Scandinavia and the coastal wetlands of southern Spain and many places in between. Bears are still be found across most of Europe; Wild boar, deer, moose, otters, beavers, Mountain goats, Pine martens, polecats, wolverines and even bison can all still be found.
Whale and dolphin watching in Europe
Whales can be seen on the Atlantic coasts of Europe and in parts of the Mediterranean, especially in the summer. Minke whales are most common, but Humpback, Sperm, Fin and even Beluga whales can all be seen.
Orca (Killer whales), Bottlenose, Common, Risso's and Striped dolphins can all be seen, as well as Basking sharks and a variety of seals. It is even possible to swim with Orca in Norway, click here to read how.
Birdwatching in Europe
Europe has a huge range of habitats, from tundra and taiga to bogs, moorland, forests, mountain ranges, coastal cliffs, wetlands and semi arid deserts. This diverstiy provides suitable habitat for a huge range of birdlife, and nearly 80 different 'families' of birds are to be found in Europe, about half of the worlds total. Approximately 550 species of bird are regularly found in Europe, not counting rare migrants and accidentals.
Wildlife of Spain
- Iberian wolves – Where to see them
- IberiaNature.com (nothing to do with Wildlife Extra, but very good) has a very good guide to the wildlife of Spain.
Recent Europe news
- New EU legislation promotes responsible palm oil production
- Shocking extent of the internet wildlife trade is exposed
- Grey seals found to prey on porpoises
- Bulgaria’s Rhodope Mountains is Europe’s 7th rewilding area
- Wolves back in Denmark after 200 year absence
- Scientists find Sea Turtles suffer from the bends like humans
- Scottish wildcat benefits from six new protection sites
- A positive step for Polar Bears
- RSPB records successes and declines of species on its reserves
- Circus debate: Should wild animals be banned from UK circuses?
- Common European bird species are suffering substantial decline in numbers
- NIVEA criticised for using white lion cub in new advert
- Asian fungal disease puts European salamanders and newts at risk
- Moscow whales kept in cramped conditions for nearly a year
- Iberian Lynx reintroduced to Portugal
More Europe news
- Quarry proposal puts ancient woodland at risk
- Norway to remove seal trade subsidies
- Farmland bird populations fall by more than half since 1970
- English bird egg collector fined £2,000 by Bulgarian court
- Europe threatens Britain with court over porpoise failure
- Malta bans animal circus acts
- Alpine goats shrinking due to global warming
- Politician calls for military to help with Romanian bear population
- Migratory shorebirds could face extinction within a decade
- Eight antelope euthanised following transfer from Europe to South African zoo
- It's a boy! New European bison calf thriving in the Southern Carpathians
- Scotland's first full humpback whale post mortem conducted on Mull
- European bison to be reintroduced in Romania
- Despite protection Baltic Sea is still at risk
- France's highest award for Panthera founder